I came back from holiday at the end of May, yet it’s the end of June and I still haven’t posted. Partly this is due to not having read much while travelling (I think I only completed 4 in 4 weeks!) and partly because leaving springtime Europe to come back to midwinter is kind of depressing and I haven’t felt like doing much of anything. Except reading, luckily. I’ve got a bit to catch up on.
Books read just before/while overseas:
Girls dress as boys and head west during the California gold rush! Some slight suspension of [dis]belief required but so enjoyable it didn’t bother me. Loved the characters, and it’s more thoughtful than my flippant description makes it out to be.
Chime and also Well Wished, Franny Billingsley
I love-love-loved both Chime and Well Wished — beautifully written, with prickly main characters who pretend not to care about people because they’ve been hurt but actually care a lot.
Didn’t grab me as much as Girls at the Kingfisher Club. Felt like it ended just as things were starting to happen, so I’ll be happy if there’s a sequel. Still a very interesting futuristic world with environmental issues explored.
The Golem and the Djinni, Helene Wecker
I feel like I’m admitting to a disease, but I don’t like big fat books. In almost all cases I feel that the book would be improved by some ruthless editing. I don’t know that I enjoyed the Golem and the Djinni exactly, but I did keep reading to the end.
Other books read which I’ll hopefully review later:
- The Game of Love and Death, Martha Brockenbrough
- This Side of Home, Renee Watson
- Reporting Under Fire, Kerrie Logan Hollihan
- SuperMutant Magic Academy, Jillian Tamaki
- Roller Girl, Victoria Jamieson
- The Last Anniversary, Liane Moriarty
- The Secrets We Keep, Trisha Leaver
- Three Wished, Liane Moriarty
- The Walls Around Us, Nova Ren Suma
- Murder Most Unladylike, Robin Stevens
- The Lie Tree, Frances Hardinge — SUPER AWESOME, must review later
- Bone Gap, Laura Ruby — SAME AS ABOVE
- How It Went Down, Kekla Magoon
- Fig, Sarah Elizabeth Schantz
- Lulu Anew, Etienne Davodeau
- All Our Pretty Songs, Sarah McCarry
- We Have Always Lived in the Castle, Shirley Jackson
- The Double Life of Cassiel Roadnight, Jenny Valentine